A few years ago, I realized that I was completely OCD about my sketchbooks – once I did something that looked crappy, I couldn’t work in the sketchbook anymore. (Obsessive, huh?) I ended up with about five unfinished sketchbooks that had some really good stuff buried in them.
So in August of 2008, I took all my sketchbooks and tore out all the used pages. I threw out the mistakes, the scribbles, the notes I didn’t need to use anymore, and I kept the good drawings. I had sketchbooks dating back to about 2002 or 2003, and I tore all the stuff out of them, making “brand new” sketchbooks for me to use.
I took the good drawings and bound them into a book called the “Metasketch,” effectively making a compliation or “greatest hits” of my sketchbook.
Yesterday, I bound a new book, since I had finished my current sketchbook. The tough thing was that the sketchbook, which my mom had given me several Christmases ago, was HUGE! I didn’t have enough bookboard to bind a hardcover book like the first Metasketch. I also wanted to use a more efficient sewing technique. So what I did was cut some cheap paper , folded it into a signature, sewed it, and then used rubber cement to glue all the pictures in.